Just in case you're curious--this isn't it. It's good--light and airy and banana-y and has great flavor. But it's not the dense, thick goodness I was hoping to replicate. This bread is going to get the shit eaten out of it tonight, as I'm hanging out to play video games tonight. And I will try again to replicate that delicious banana bread.
This is adapted from a date bread in Dorie Greenspan's "Baking from My Home to Yours." I was excited about it because of the cream cheese.
2 cups of flour (I used a mixture of white and whole-wheat pastry. About 1/2 and 1/2.)
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Whisk all the dry ingredients together and set aside. Grease a loaf pan and heat the oven to 325.
2 sticks of butter, softened
3 oz of cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup of sugar
4 eggs
1 cup of mashed banana, mixed with the juice of one lemon
1/2 cup or so of chocolate chips
Cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add in the sugar and continue to cream until fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well for about a minute after the addition of each egg. Stir in the banana and chocolate. Then stir in the dry ingredients until just combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. (I think mine is a 9x5 pan, and the batter came almost all the way to the top. I was afraid it'd bubble over when it was baking, but it didn't.) Bake for 40 minutes, then cover loosely with foil and bake for another 40 minutes or so. Make sure that a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Comments aren't working for me somehow....Anyway, just wanted to say that this seems to be one of those things that tastes better after a few days. I like it more now than I did when I first tried it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment